If you are facing criminal charges for fleeing the scene of a crime in California, it is important to understand the possible penalties you may be facing. Keep reading to learn more about the penalties for fleeing the scene of a crime in California.
Understanding the Penalties You Could Face if You’re Convicted of Fleeing the Scene of a Crime in California
Fleeing the scene of a crime can be an extremely serious criminal offense in California. Depending on the circumstances, those facing criminal charges for this offense may face severe penalties that could include hefty fines, probation, and even prison time.
In California, if you have been charged with fleeing the scene of a crime, the potential penalties you could face if convicted depend on the following:
- The severity of the crime that was being committed, or had been committed, at the time you allegedly fled the scene
- Whether the crime that was being committed, or had been committed, at the time you allegedly fled the scene resulted in property damage, injury, or death
- The type of crime that was being committed, or had been committed, at the time you allegedly fled the scene
If you are facing criminal charges for fleeing the scene of a crime in California, it is important to know the consequences of such an act. The following are the penalties you could face if you’re convicted of fleeing the scene of a crime in California:
- Felony – A felony conviction could lead to up to four years in prison and a hefty fine of up to $10,000.
- Misdemeanor – A misdemeanor conviction could result in up to a year in jail and a fine of $1,000 or more.
A fleeing the scene of a crime conviction can remain on your criminal record, which could have life-long consequences, including preventing you from getting a job, stopping you from getting approved for housing, and more. That’s why it is extremely important to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Our Experienced Criminal Defense Attorneys in Santa Barbara Today
Our criminal defense lawyers at Appel & Morse have more than four decades of collective legal experience. We understand how to navigate the criminal justice system and can make sure that your rights are protected throughout the legal process. Our legal team has a history of helping clients fight criminal charges, which in many cases, has resulted in the charges against our clients being reduced or even dismissed.
To learn more about Appel & Morse, check out our clients’ testimonials.
Call us at (805) 467-6060 or reach out to us online today for a free consultation with our experienced fleeing the scene of a crime defense attorneys in Santa Barbara.