Santa Barbara Misdemeanor Defense Lawyer
Experienced Santa Barbara Criminal Defense Attorney
No criminal offense should be taken lightly. Even just a misdemeanor charge can result in a permanent mark on your criminal record and adversely affect your family and your future. A misdemeanor is an offense that is punishable by local county jail time for up to one year. Discover the available defense options for your misdemeanor charge when you call the Santa Barbara criminal lawyers at Appel & Morse.
Examples of common California misdemeanor charges include:
- Assault or battery against a health care provider: punishable by up to 1 year in jail and a fine up to $2,000.
- Domestic battery: punishable by up to 1 year in county jail and a maximum fine of $2,000.
- Driving on a suspended license: punishable by up to 1 year in county jail and a maximum fine of $2.000.
- DUI: punishable by up to 1 year in county jail and a maximum fine of $2,000.
- Petty theft: punishable by 6 months in county jail and a maximum fine of $1,000.
- Prostitution: punishable by 6 months in jail and/or a fine up to $1,000.
- Public intoxication: punishable by 6 months in county jail and a maximum fine of $1,000.
There is a chance that the state cannot bring criminal prosecution against you. All crimes have a time limit, known as a statute of limitations. The statutes of limitations are set on a crime-by-crime basis in California. If the statute of limitations has passed, your charges could be dismissed. Our Santa Barbara criminal defense attorneys can help you understand your options and what penalties you may be facing.
Our team of lawyers is comprised of former prosecutors, which means that we know our way around the courts and know exactly what it takes to negotiate a favorable outcome on your behalf.
Some misdemeanors are wobblers, meaning they can be prosecuted either as felonies or infractions. Wobblers include disturbing the peace, aggravated trespassing, elder abuse, and assault with a deadly weapon. These common misdemeanors can be charged as felonies.
While you may be able to receive community service, electronic monitoring or counseling sentence in lieu of jail time, you will need aggressive defense to fight for these opportunities. For the hard-hitting representation you need, call Appel & Morse.
“Ian is awesome and I highly recommend him to anyone in my circumstance.”- Jeff E.
“He is the perfect lawyer for criminal cases. Thank you Ian.”- Anonymous
“MOST Patient & kind! Clients are a priority!”- Natasha