Tax Evasion in California
Let Our Experienced Legal Team Protect Your Rights & Future
In California, the white collar crime of tax evasion is punishable by a maximum jail or prison sentence of one year and a fine of up to $20,000. If you are currently facing these charges, our Santa Barbara criminal defense attorneys at Appel & Morse are prepared to fight for you. With more than three decades of experience, we understand what it takes to build a strong and personalized defense strategy in order to either get your entire case dismissed or your charges reduced.
Proving Tax Evasion
Tax evasion occurs when an individual or business entity purposefully underpays taxes that are owed, which includes acts such as:
- Not filing a tax return
- Not reporting all income earned
- Claiming to be a resident of another state besides California
- Supply any false or fraudulent information in tax return
To be convicted of tax evasion in California, the prosecution must prove the following:
- You made or verified a tax return or statement provided to the Franchise Tax Board, Board of Equalization, or Employment Development Department.
- The tax return or statement was false or fraudulent.
- When you provided the information, you knew that the information was false or fraudulent.
- You intentionally and knowingly violated a legal duty and intended to unlawfully evade paying a tax.
Ready to Offer Our Reliable Legal Assistance Today
If you are in any doubt about the legality of your tax return, we can determine all of your available legal options. Perhaps, you cannot pay your tax bill and become tempted to avoid filing a return or report your income as lower than it is. If you are unable to pay your taxes, our Santa Barbara criminal defense attorneys understand all of the alternatives so you can avoid serving time in jail or pay an expensive fine.
“Ian is awesome and I highly recommend him to anyone in my circumstance.”- Jeff E.
“He is the perfect lawyer for criminal cases. Thank you Ian.”- Anonymous
“MOST Patient & kind! Clients are a priority!”- Natasha