Skip to Content
Free Criminal Consultation! 805-467-6060

What Should I Do if I’m Charged with Serving Alcohol to a Minor in California?

Two people holding hands as they're are separated by prison bars.

If you have been charged with serving alcohol to a minor in California, the consequences can be serious. Not only could this lead to a criminal conviction, but it could also affect your ability to obtain housing or employment opportunities down the road. In this blog post, we will discuss your legal rights and what you should do if you’ve been charged with serving alcohol to a minor in California.

What Are the Penalties if You’re Convicted of Serving Alcohol to a Minor in California?

Serving alcohol to minors in California is a criminal offense that can carry serious consequences. These consequences can include:

  • If you’re an alcohol vendor convicted of permitting underage drinking on your premises, you could face up to $250 in fines and up to 32 hours of community service.
  • If you’re an individual convicted of giving or selling alcohol to someone who is underage, you could face $1,000 in fines, up to a year in jail, and at least 24 hours of community service.

Other consequences of serving alcohol to an underage person in California can include liquor license suspension and contractor debarment.

Defenses for Serving Alcohol to a Minor Charges

If you are facing charges for serving alcohol to a minor in California, there are a few possible defenses available to you, including:

  • Mistake of Fact – You honestly believed that the person you were serving alcohol to was of legal drinking age.
  • Fake I.D. – The underage person presented an I.D. that appeared to be government issued, valid, and genuine. Even if it was forged, if you inspected the I.D., it said the person was of legal drinking age, and the I.D. appeared genuine, you could potentially escape liability for serving alcohol to a minor.

Contact Our Criminal Defense Attorneys for a Free Consultation Today

If you are currently facing charges for serving alcohol to a minor in California, it is crucial that you consult with an experienced criminal defense lawyer.

At Appel & Morse, our experienced criminal defense lawyers will be able to provide you with invaluable guidance and insight into the complexities of the law, giving you knowledge that can help keep you from making mistakes during any legal proceedings. In addition, we will make sure you fully understand your rights and options when talking to the police and prosecutors.

As our clients’ testimonials prove, our legal team has a long track record of success when it comes to helping our clients secure the most favorable outcome possible for their situation, including helping clients get their charges reduced or dismissed.

Call us at (805) 467-6060 or reach out to us online today for a free consultation with our experienced serving alcohol to a minor defense attorneys in Fresno.

Share To: