In California, being charged with either possession or manufacturing of child pornography is serious. Both crimes carry severe penalties. If you or someone you know has been charged with either of these crimes, the first step is to seek help from a criminal defense attorney who has experience with these types of cases.
In this blog post, we will provide an overview of child pornography laws in California and offer some legal defense strategies that can be used to help you fight these charges.
What to Do if You’re Facing Child Pornography Charges in California
If you are facing child pornography charges in California, you can fight back with the help of a knowledgeable and experienced criminal defense attorney. The following are a few steps you should consider taking if you’re charged with manufacturing or possessing child pornography in California:
- Learn About Child Pornography Laws and Penalties in California – Under California law, child pornography is defined as sexually explicit images or videos of minors. The state has strict penalties for those who are convicted of this crime, and punishments can include fines, imprisonment, and mandatory registration as a sex offender. Penalties vary depending on the nature of the charges, but they can be severe and can result in long-term consequences.
- Hire a Knowledgeable Criminal Defense Attorney – If you’re facing child pornography charges, it is critical that you seek legal representation from an experienced criminal defense attorney with a thorough understanding of California's internet sex crime laws. Your attorney may be able to evaluate your case and build a strong defense strategy to help you avoid or minimize the consequences of a conviction.
- Be Honest with Your Attorney and Trust Their Advice – When working with your attorney, it is important to be honest with them and provide them with all the information needed to defend you effectively. Your attorney will likely ask many questions to understand the facts of your situation and develop an effective defense strategy. Trust your attorney's advice, as they have experience with these types of cases and know what strategies are most effective in court.
- Consider Your Legal Options – Your attorney may explore a variety of defense strategies to help you fight child pornography charges. For example, they may argue that the images were not sexually explicit or that you did not knowingly possess or distribute the materials. Your attorney may also fight against illegal search and seizure practices or challenge the admissibility of evidence in court.
- Determine Your Course of Action – Depending on the specific facts of your case, your attorney will try to recommend the appropriate course of action that best suits your needs. This may involve negotiating a plea deal, going to trial, or seeking a dismissal of the charges. Stay consistently in touch with your attorney and stay on top of the latest developments, so you can make the most informed decision possible.
If you'd like to learn more about California's child pornography laws or discuss your case with our experienced criminal defense lawyers in Fresno, feel free to give Appel & Morse a call at (805) 467-6060. You can also connect with us online to schedule a free consultation. We're here to provide you with the information and support you need.